Nations have different instincts and being Pakistani, joining the Pakistan Army is our instinct. Every Pakistani wants to join the Pakistan Army either as a Soldier or Doctor. The pride we feel in that khaki uniform made our ambitions high to achieve this goal. Today we are going to discuss specifics for the pre-medical students on How to get admission in AMC in Pakistan.
There are numerous ambiguities among the pre-medical students on how to join army medical college like who can apply for AMC, do girls get admission in AMC, and many more so after going through our ultimate guide on how to take admission in army medical college, you will have a clear idea of the procedures held during all these tests.
In this section, we are going to discuss the basics for getting admission to AMC like a bit of history of AMC, eligibility criteria for getting admission to AMC as well as the fee structure. And as soon as we are done with this, we will explain the modes of getting into AMC.
The Army Medical College (AMC) in Rawalpindi was established in 1977 as the second armed forces medical college after the Combined Military Hospital in Lahore. It is affiliated with the National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST).
The college was initially established to meet the need for more doctors in the military, but it has since become one of the most prestigious medical institutions in Pakistan. Every year, AMC receives thousands of applications from students hoping to secure one of its coveted spots.
For some motivation, you will be glad to know that AMC is placed in the A+ category for ranking making it equal to Agha Khan Medical University.
There are 04 ways to get into AMC, your college of dreams, and serve the nation with the full zeal and zest and among all with pride. These fours ways to get admission to AMC are:
- Admission as Medical Cadet
- Admission as NUMS Cadets
- Admission as Paying Cadet
- Admission as Foreign Applicants
Before going deep into each way to get admission to AMC, let’s have the quick checks, which you should need to fulfill in order to enter AMC. These are common for all four ways to get admission into AMC.
- Qualification: Of course, the qualification should be Fsc Pre-Medical from any BISE in Pakistan or any equivalent qualification with Overseas High School Certificate/British General Certificate of Education (Advanced Level)/International Baccalaureate with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology, as approved by PMDC.
- Aggregate: Aggregate to get admission in AMC should not be less than 60%.
- For “M Cadet”: If you want to join as M Cadet, you should be a 4th or Final Year Student of MBBS of any Medical College recognized by PMDC in Pakistan.
- Age: (as of 31 2022): It should be 20 to 26 years.
- Minimum Height: 5’ and 4” or (162.5 cm)
- Weight: As per Body Mass Index (BMI)
- Nationality: Citizen of Pakistan and domicile holders of Azad Kashmir/Gilgit-Baltistan. If you are a candidate who has dual nationality and is selected for MBBS, you will have to surrender nationalities other than Pakistani.
There’s a different Fee structure for each category and it is described below:
- Fee structure for Medical Cadet (Free of cost)
- Fee structure for NUMS Cadet (220,000 PKR per year)
- Fee structure for Paying Cadets (220,000 PKR per year)
- Fee structure for Foreign Cadet ($12,000 per year)
Certain things you need to know about joining AMC as MC. This M Cadet thing is only for males but both civilians, as well as army brats, can apply in AMC as M Cadets.
The basic application will be done at the Army selection official website and there will be no ISSB in this test as discussed later.
There are 100 seats for MBBS while for BDS 7 seats are allocated. The test will be taken in ASRC and will be held on a computer with instant results. More details here:
There are certain steps to get yourself into AMC as a Medical Cadet. These are listed below with the basic description:
- Initial Intelligence Test: This test is divided into two parts: a verbal and non-verbal component. To continue the process, you must clear the verbal portion, after which you will be able to work on the non-verbal section of the exam.
- Academic Performance Test: This test is the same as major entry tests in the Pakistan Army. It contains MCQs from each subject of Intermediate level, that is FSc Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.
- Physical Fitness Test: It is an important step and to be able to get admitted to the Army Medical College, one should definitely clear its physical fitness test.
- Medical Fitness Test: In order to join the Army, candidates must pass the Medical Fitness Test. This test is conducted by an Army doctor at Army Selection and Recruitment Center in different cities like Rawalpindi, Lahore, Karachi, Peshawar, and Multan. This includes weight check, height measurement, and eyesight test.
- Basic Personality Test: This test is very important because during this test the personality and thinking style of applicants are judged by a panel of experts. The GHQ Rawalpindi conducts this test in September or October for those who have passed previous stages (Written exam and Interview).
- Final Selection: The final selection will be done by the medical board at GHQ analyzing the overall performance of the candidate.
- Bond Signing: Selected candidates must sign a bond in which they agree to work as a doctor for at least 13 years in the Pakistan Army after graduation from AMC Rawalpindi.
- Military Training: A medical graduate after receiving his/her MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine) and BSH ( Bachelor of Surgery, commonly called a Bachelor in Medicine or Bachelor) Class is required to undergo Basic Military Training of 22 weeks offered by GHQ PA Directorate at Army Medical Corps School and Center Abbottabad.
For Medical Cadet Preparation CLICK HERE
Applying to AMC as a NUMS cadet is similar to applying to any other medical college in Pakistan. The test is held twice a year. The first time is in August on the basis of the 1st year result while the second time is in September after the 2nd year result.
You can apply for the test and take both of these and can apply for any test you want to enroll in.
The good news is both the males and females can apply for this test and there is no selection protocol like M Cadet. You don’t need to sign a bond to work in the army, nor the army will give you a job at CMH and if you wish to, you have to apply separately after your MBBS or BDS.
After your graduation, you are free to serve in any institute of free will. The seats for NUMS are 40 in number while for BDS 7 remain the constant.
Procedure to Apply:
Keep in mind that the eligibility criteria will remain the same as described earlier. So, when it’s time to apply for AMC as a NUMS cadet, you need to:
- Visit the NTS website and select the Registration tab for the NUMS entry test.
- Fill out your forms and select your testing center.
- Pay the test Fee and send that slip to “National Testing Service (NUMS Project) Plot 96, Street No. 4, Sector H-8/1, Islamabad”
- You will receive your Roll no Slip, print it out, and take it to the test center on test day.
- Take the test and after the result, buy the registration form from AMC, Rawalpindi and apply for it.
- Submit the admission form with the required documents and wait for the merit list.
- Hurray! You are in AMC as a NUMS Cadet.
All the eligibility criteria will remain the same and both males and females can apply for this test but you need to be an army brat to get admission to AMC as a Paying cadet.
You need to get the PC Form from GHQ, AHQ, or NHQ according to the sector your parents are serving. Fill out the form and submit it to GHQ, AHQ, or NHQ with the required documents.
The remaining steps will remain the same as NUMS Cadet applying procedure starting from visiting the NTS website.
During your MBBS career, you will be asked by the Army if you want to serve in the army, and if you want you can apply there and will become an M Cadet.
One can also apply if you are a foreigner or dual nationality but you need to have an equivalent degree in (A-Levels). They can take the NUMS test but can also apply based on SAT-II. But in SAT-ll their subjects must be Biology, Chemistry, and Physics with a minimum score of 550 each.
Most of the process remains the same. You can get your admission form from AMC, Rawalpindi and fill it out and submit it with the required documents and wait for your admission.
This is all you need to get admission to AMC and hope this guide has cleared your ambiguities. If you need more details, you can comment below.
With Ustad Foundation, you can get admission to Army Medical College as we give details on preparing material and guidance.
For MDCAT 2022 Preparation According to MDCAT 2022 Syllabus CLICK HERE